WILTED SPINACH SALAD BOWL by Right-Brain Joanna
With a warm vinaigrette, a novelty these days, this salad features a selection of flavourful ingredients. It’s a great side for a simple meal, but add hardboiled or poached eggs to plated salad for brunch or a lunch.
Serves 4 to 6
5oz/142g baby spinach
8 slices of bacon, cooked, quickly drained on paper towel and scissored over the spinach
2 pieces of sour dough (or other substantial) bread cut for croutons
4 cocktail tomatoes or handful of grape tomatoes
Handful of toasted nuts (your choice)
⅓c/45g crumbled feta
1 1/2 tbsp/22 mL olive oil
1 1/2 tbsp/22 mL balsamic vinegar
Generous grating black pepper
- Place the spinach into a large salad bowl.
- Fry the bacon to your liking and drain on paper towel adding it to the bowl of spinach while still hot, retaining the bacon fat for the croutons. Estimate how much you’ll need if there is a lot of fat, pour off any excess.
- Sauté the croutons in the fat until nicely browned and spread over the spinach and bacon.
- Prepare the dressing by heating gently and set aside to cool somewhat.
- Cut up the tomatoes and add to a salad bowl overtop the spinach. Top with the feta and toasted nuts.
- At the table pour over the still slightly-warm dressing and toss.
I heat the vinaigrette for 5 seconds or so in my microwave just before drizzling over this tossed salad that has plenty of flavourful bits to make the salad really interesting.